faq button

Your Questions Answered!

FAQ Topics

  • General
  • Ball Valves
  • Globe Valves
  • Butterfly Valves
  • Globe Valve Retrofit Linkages
  • Retrofitting Actuators to Valves
  • Sizing Valves
  • Miscellaneous



Q: What are DEI’s hours of operation?
A: Our normal hours are 8am to 5pm Eastern time but there is often someone here later so please call, if we are here we will answer the phone. Our answering machine and fax machine are on 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Also, feel free to e-mail us.

Q: What is the warranty period of your products?
A: Commercial Actuators: 3 years from the date of delivery
Industrial Actuators: 2 years from the date of delivery
Dampers: 1 year from the date of delivery
Valves: 2 years from the date of delivery
Specialty Items: min. 1 year from the date of delivery

Q: How quickly can you ship an order?
A: We typically quote a lead time of 1 to 2 weeks after the receipt of a purchase order to ship but often we ship within just a few days. If you have a specific lead time requirement for your product please let us know and we will always do our best to meet it.

Q: Do you charge any extra to expedite an order?
A: No, we do not charge any extra money to expedite an order unless we incur an additional cost from our vendors or if the shipping costs are higher (i.e. UPS Red charge). We will tell you in advance if this applies to your order.


Ball Valves

Q: Are your three way ball valves for diverting or mixing applications?
A: DEI’s three way valves are designed for diverting applications. Using them for mixing applications will cause premature wear of the seats and will not produce an equal percentage flow curve. It is DEI’s recommendation to pipe the valves for diverting applications only. To use a diverting ball valve for a coil application, simply pipe the valve before the coil (vs. after the coil as you would a mixing application). (See page 10 of Engineering, Applications and Installation.)

Q: Are your two way ball valves flow sensitive?
A: No. Feel free to pipe them in either direction. (Please be aware that this is not true with all brands.)

Q: When do I use a high temperature (-HT) ball valve?
A: The high temp option should be used for all steam applications, as well as water above 200°F. They are rated for a saturated steam inlet pressure up to 15psi for modulating applications and up to 150psi for 2 position applications.

Q: When do I use a stainless ball and stem (-SBS) ball valve?
A: Stainless ball and stem valves are recommended for all applications, especially modulating. They are required for all steam applications.

Q: Which is the common port on a three-way ball valve?
A: The bottom port (if you look at the valve as if it were the letter “T”) is the common port on a ball valve.


Globe Valves:

Q: Are your three way globe valves for mixing or diverting applications?
A: Both mixing and diverting valves are available, however mixing is standard.

Q: Which is the common port on a three-way mixing globe valve?
A: With the arrow pointing to right hand side, the common port is on the right hand side.

Q: Why are ball valves sized smaller than globe valves for the same application?
A: Ball valves typically have higher Cv ratings than globe valves for the same size valve. Therefore the ball valves that are used to handle the same flow as a globe valve will be smaller. The adjusted Cv (Fp factor) must be taken into consideration when sizing valves. This factor takes into account line size when sizing a valve (see page 6 of Engineering, Applications and Installation.)


Butterfly Valves:

Q: Can a three-way butterfly valve be used for diverting and mixing applications?
A: Yes. Please refer to our catalog or speak with our Applications Group for possible arrangements. (See page 24 of Butterfly Valves.)


Globe Valve Retrofit Linkages:

Q: What material are your globe valve linkages made out of?
A: Our globe valve linkages, whether being used for complete assemblies or retrofits, are completely metal. We chose a steel and aluminum mix to ensure a long, reliable life span.

Q: Are your globe valve linkages linear? (i.e. equal valve stem travel for equal rotation of actuator)
A: Many linkages on the market do not have this feature. If you don’t have a linear linkage you will not maintain the flow characteristics of the valve.


Retrofitting Actuators to Valves:

Q: Do you offer valve retrofits?
A: Yes. We have a globe valve selection chart for the most common manufacturers (see pages 5-6 of Globe Valve Retrofits). We also have a dimensional worksheet in our globe valve retrofit section for globe valves (see page 13 of Globe Valve Retrofits) and one in our Butterfly section for butterfly retrofits (see page 25 of Butterfly Valves.)

Q: If I don’t know what valve I have in the line, can I still retrofit it?
A: Quite possibly. If you can fill out the valve dimension worksheet in our catalog (see the last page in the GV or BF sections of our catalog) we should be able to fulfill your needs.

Q: Whose linkages do you use for globe valves?
A: We design and manufacturer our own linear globe valve linkages that maintain the true flow characteristics of the valve.


Sizing Valves:

Q: How do I size a two-position valve?
A: Usually two-position valves are line sized. If the valve is used for isolation and not flow control, a lower pressure saves energy.

Q: How do I size a modulating valve?
A: Modulating valves are sized for flow control. Therefore the Cv should be calculated for the flow and an appropriate valve should be chosen. The equations to determine the required Cv can be found in our catalog (see page 2 of Engineering, Applications and Installation). Feel free to call our Applications Group for help.



Q: What is the difference between two-position and tri-state actuators?
A: Two-position actuators are either open or closed while tri-state actuators can stop at any position. However, tri-state actuators can be wired for two-position control very easily. (Note: some tri-state models require a Form-C relay for two-position control).

Q: Can your valve assemblies be used outdoors?
A: Our Industrial actuators are NEMA 4 rated (always add a heater and stat for outdoor applications) and we have NEMA 4 type enclosures and weathershields for our commercial actuators. A Heater & Thermostat may be required for commercial actuators to eliminate condensation.

Q: Should I insulate my valves?
A: Yes, it is always a good practice to conserve energy and it is typically required to prevent excessive heat transfer from the valve to the actuator.

Q: Can I manually override the Industrial electric (“RE”) actuator if I do not have the Hand wheel?
A: Yes. Be sure the override shaft is pushed completely down and use a 7/16″ wrench to turn the actuator.

Q: Can you help me?
A: Yes! Feel free to contact us.